Don’t Buy Electric Scooter Before you Read The Following Guide! Learn About all Types!
Hello and welcome to our guide about all types of electric scooters. Unlike a bicycle, electric scooters offer people a way to travel five times quicker. They are environmentally friendly, fun and affordable.
All types of electric scooters provide a pleasant ride and get you to your destination looking fresh, not sweaty !
As it is suitable for adult, so do scooters provide kids with fun, adventure, and exercise. The benefits are plentiful, but before you buy one for your kid, it is essential to know what to buy.
There are different types of electric scooters in the market.
You need to understand the various types and choose one that meets your kids need.
When considering electric scooter for children, it is essential to safeguard your kids from ending up in the ER.
For this reason, you need to pay attention to speed, range, weight, size, and reliability.
We are affiliate!We hope you’ll love the products we recommend. We may collect a share of sales or any other compensation from the links of this page or if you add products into your basket and check out at Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk. Thank you if you do use a link or checkout. We really appreciate!
Both kids and adults have scooters made specifically for their ages. Therefore, you need to choose the right device for your child’s age to prevent emergencies.
Read also: Best foldable electric scooter for kids!
What electric scooter to buy for your kid?
Choosing the best electric scooter for kids can be tedious. There is a long list of considerations before deciding on the right one. Rule of the thumb is to consider your child and choose something that appropriately meets his or her need.
This guide’s objective is to provide essential information to understand what’s necessary to pick the best Electric Scooter.
While every scooter manufacturer or seller wants to sell a product, you as the buyer must go with what you need.
Otherwise, you risk buying something below expectation. If your objective is to buy the best electric scooter for kids, please continue reading.
What is an electric scooter?
Sometimes people confuse an electric scooter with a motorized motorcycle, but they are not the same. Scooters are micro-mobility devices having a step-through frame and a standing deck to accommodate the rider’s feet.
It may or may not have a seat and generally delivers from low to moderately high speed in mobility. The electric kick scooters are in different types with each type distinct in design, and performance.
All types of electric scooters on the market:
Scooter is a micro mobility device that exists in three different forms. Each class is unique in design and purpose described as follows.
But in this article you will find out what are the electric scooters, all the types and how they work!
The electric kick scooter
This type of electric kick scooter can be in 2-wheel or 3-wheel designed for kids and adults. It comes with handlebars and standing deck.
Sometimes, the electric kick scooter may or may not have a seat, but they are all with handlebars for comfortable riding. These scooters may be foldable or non-foldable aimed at different buyers.
There is a 1-second fold option for faster kick and fold.
Also, others have 2 to 3-second fold options which take a little longer to fold than the 1-second fold option.
More features of electric scooters include prebuilt seat and expandable option to accommodate a seat in future.
A scooter with a seat offers comfort and convenient to ride, especially when on a long ride. However, some scooters are without a seat and no provision to install one in future.
Also, electric kick scooter can be off-road in nature. These scooters are designed for the wood and extreme trails. These scooters come with massive and wider tires, more powerful motor and long-lasting battery.
The off-road electric kick scooter has the construction that protects it against damage in rough terrain.
Generally, the electric kick scooter is a buy-and-ride micromobility that requires no formal learning. Even kids two years old can ride without cause for alarm provided it’s their age.
The self-balancing electric scooter
The self-balancing electric scooters are for people ready to learn new micromobility riding skill. Unlike electric kick scooter that needs no formal learning; these scooters need extra time mastering.
Generally, this type of scooter is hoverboards for personalized transportation. However, there are other types called Unicycles and Self-balancing personal transporters.
Self-balancing electric scooters is a 2-wheel motorized device connected with a pair of pads for rider’s feet. It has no handlebars like its electric kick scooter cousin and no seat consideration at all!
- Hoverboards. Riding Hoverboards is tricky and needs mastering. The movement, speed, turning are all based on rider’s gestures.
Leaning backward or forward speed-up or slow-down the device and twisting of the pad changes the direction of movement accordingly. This type of scooter joined the fold in 2013 and invented by 59-year-old Shane Chan.
While you can buy an electric kick scooter without much ado, it is not the same with hoverboards.
Before buying, the buyer needs to consider a few things generally regarded as necessary such as size, weight, climbing angle, speed, battery life, cornering and maximum rider weight, and price.
- Unicycle. It has only one wheel and takes time to learn. It’s an excellent choice for commuters wanting a swift journey in a crowded area.
Another application is for jumping on some curbs and for attaining a step higher beyond a hoverboards capability.
Thus, unicycle has size and weight as well as height advantages over hoverboards. It comes with speakers and lights for additional riding comfort. It is lightweight, just 30 pounds, and easily carried everywhere.
Also, when folded, it is easy to carry in a bag-like form.
- Self-balancing transports. The third type among self-balancing electric scooters is knee controlled and more effective.
It has a short learning curve, and your child can learn in a few minutes. Generally, personal transporters are Ninebot technology powered.
The electric moped scooter
An electric motor powers this type of electric scooter. Mopeds stand out among the different types of the electric scooter. They are battery powered and are silent while riding.
The seat makes Mopeds very comfortable and can accommodate two persons with ease. This type of scooter has bigger tires, which make it smooth and balanced to ride.
Moped comes in different models designed for kids and adults. The extreme powerful mopeds for adults are comparable to a motorcycle in speed and performance.
Features of electric moped scooter:
- Higher top speed
- Bigger tires and wheels
- Great extended seat
- Rearview mirrors
- Stronger motors
Among the three different types of these, the common one is the electric kick scooter. Typically, people need an electric scooter for various purposes. Usually, a young kid asks for a scooter to play and have fun.
However, the objective becomes a need for transportation. At a later stage of teenager’s life, the need is more of performance, power and comfort. Within the various needs, you must consider the best electric scooter for kids.
Read also: Best Electric Scooter for Kids in UK
Finding the best electric scooter for kids
Kids are more immersed playing outdoors with electric scooter these days. As parents, you need to give them the best. If your child demands a motorized bike, you should give him or her something befitting.
Electric scooters are great to commute short distances in running errands around the neighbourhood or for school shuttle.
I want to agree if you think finding and choosing the best electric scooter for kids isn’t easy. I know it’s quite a big deal if you don’t have the right information to make an informed choice.
Hence, this next section discusses various elements that make up the best electric scooter for children.
Elements of the Best Scooter for child
Anyone up to 18 years of age is considered a child, but within it are various categories of childhood. The best time to give your child a scooter is from 2 years old. Therefore, there is a scooter for every child who is old enough to ride one.
There are also scooters explicitly designed for adult, but that is outside the scope of this guide.
Essential considerations for choosing the best electric scooter for kids
The following are various elements to consider when choosing the right electric scooter. These items are critical for your child’s satisfaction with the final choice made.
- Design. Not all scooters are designed the same way. Choose a design that your child is comfortable with and can control with ease. I recommend you select a scooter designed by the renowned manufacturer for peace of mind.
- Battery. The battery life, its strength, and durability are essential to give your child great time for fun. You need a battery with extended life and one that requires short charging time.
- Motor. The quality of motor in the scooter will determine so many things, including speed, range, and durability of the scooter. A stronger motor means sturdy bike!
- Handlebar. If you are choosing electric kick scooter, an excellent adjustable handlebar is most important to meet your child’s age and height.
- Wheel and Tire sizes. For a smooth and efficient ride, the scooter needs strong wheels and reliable tires. Make sure you choose a bike with a wheel size from 8 inches in diameter.
- Frame. The frame is the chassis of the scooter and it the element that connects every other part of the device. A sturdy and reliable frame material provides peace of mind and reliability of the scooter.
Read also: Electric scooter Law in the US!
- Weight. Depending on the age of your kid, the scooter you choose should be lightweight for easy control and portable. Ideally, lighter electric scooters weigh around 120lbs, while heavier one can go up to 350lbs.
- Suspension. It provides a comfy ride in bumpy terrains. When you combine large wheels and tires with an excellent suspension, the riding experience is out of this world.
- Speed. I wouldn’t recommend higher speed for kids below the age of five, but higher-speed for older kids gives the best experience for running errands at distant places.
- Range. The range determines how far the scooter can travel per full battery charge, the longer, the better for a fun-filled ride. You should note that cheaper scooters will most likely have weaker batteries with poor range delivery.
- Durability. The design and maker determine scooter durability. Make sure to choose one built by a renowned manufacturer.
- Maximum Load. It is the load a scooter can carry that determines the recommended age for the device. Before you choose an electric scooter for a child, make sure it is appropriate for your child’s weight. Also, note that using a scooter by rider above recommended age invalidates its warranty.
• Headlamp. While I do not encourage kids to play into the night with a scooter, I recommend picking one with a headlamp. Also, I recommended selecting a scooter with some light reflectors for safety during night use.
• Brake. You need a motorcycle with effective brake control, especially if it goes more than 15mph in speed. Choose an electric bike with an effective braking system for your child’s safety.
• Safety features. There are two ways to safety with an electric scooter; the first is in the design, and the second is with safety kits. While the latter is your call, the first is integral to the scooter according to manufacturer choice of design and build.
• Extras. Not all electric scooters are foldable, but it won’t hurt to consider a foldable one for traveling needs. You may also want one that is noise-free and allows you to ride in peace.
• Upgradable. Some electric scooters for kids are designed to grow with the child; adjustable handlebar and extendable seat are important considerations.
• Warranty. Knowing your investment is secure in case of any untoward event after purchase is another element for a great scooter. I do recommend you purchase your tech items, including scooters, on Amazon to have your back just in case!
Don’t Let Your Kid’s Electric Scooter Ride End in the ER
Now you know everything about all types of electic scooters. Kids are more immersed playing outdoors with electric scooter these days. As parents, you need to give them the best. If your child demands a motorized bike, you should give him or her something befitting.
With the electric scooter trending, there is the tendency for your kid to want one badly. But before you decide on a scooter for your kid, remember that a wrong choice can result in ER cases.
There are several scooters related cases of concussions and fractured skulls, broken legs, hips, elbows, and wrists at the clinics. These reported injuries are leading to rising family health costs.
The reason to choose the best electric scooter for kids is to avoid being sorry. Buying inappropriate electric scooter can spell disaster and study shows many riders have ended up at the emergencies.
As parents, be careful when choosing electric scooter as the cost of ensuing crises can unbalance your finances.
Check out my guide on Electric Scooter and the Law UK!
Tips to choose the best Electric Scooter for a child:
• How old is your child? You are to buy a scooter recommended for your child’s age. Every motorcycle has weight, speed, and range appropriate for the rider’s age. The best electric bike is one that fits the age of your child.
• Avoid cheap electric scooters. While cost is not the only decider for quality, sometimes be careful of kid’s ridiculously cheap gadget. I would recommend buying an electric bike of average price and within a reasonable budget. When you purchase high-quality micro mobility, it comes with a fair second-hand value.
• Go for an electric kick scooter. If your child is new to scooter riding, Ι recommend you start him or her with electric kick scooter. These scooters are appropriate for newbie and are safe for your kid.
• Obey existing scooter road use laws. Electric bikes are being regulated by most countries to reduce incidences of injuries and ER cases, be law-abiding.
• Wear protective gear. It’s good to have the best electric scooter for kids, but always ensure your child has and wears safety kits. Wearing helmet, close-toed-shoes, knee, and elbow pads will prevent serious injuries.
• Discourage use of headphone. It is safety advice to desist from using headphones while riding an electric scooter. For older kids that share road with other mobility, this warning should not be taken lightly.
• Buy for your intending use terrain. There are electric scooters for different terrains. Ensure to choose the best electric bike designed to run on your preferred ground. It would be disappointing to buy the wrong motorcycle for your area. If your child playground is rough terrain, buy the scooter made for rough roads
Check out my review on Best electric scooter with seat for kids!
Electric Scooters provide a fun, adventure and exercise. However, you will need to understand what you need for your child before buying. There are different reasons people buy electric scooters.
If you need the best electric scooter for kids, I recommend you choose one that meets your child’s age. I have conducted some researches on various electric scooters for different need. You will find links to these reviews and where you can buy on Amazon.
As a scooter enthusiast, durability and versatility are two critical criteria I use for picking the best electric scooter. I understand the need to buy the right bike for my kid’s age. Also, I am mindful of the reuse-value of durable and versatile kids’ gadget!
For the busy parent who wants the best electric scooter for teenagers, I urge you to follow this guide.
Thank you for reading this useful guide about all types of electric scooters.